Modern Cabins & Dwellings
What's the Difference?
Kanga Cabins are designed to be placed in the country or in areas where there will be no required inspections by a local building authority. If site access allows, the cabin can be trucked in nearly fully assembled, required very little on-site time. Currently the floorplans for dwellings and cabins are identical, although Kanga will be developing plans specifically for cabins that do not have some of the restrictive, space-wasting reqirements sometimes demanded by city code.
Kanga Dwellings are designed for locations that will require a full on site building inspection of the structure. These are generally located inside a City Limits although there are some areas in City Limits and Towns where a full on site inspection may not be required. Currently the floorplans for dwellings and cabins are identical.
Plans & Pricing
About Cabin & Dwelling Pricing: Pricing for cabins and dwellings and are different. Next to each plan you will see an average cabin cost and a range for the dwelling cost. The cost of a dwelling is higher due to many factors involved with building in a city and going through an inspection process with significantly more on-site build time. Costs of cabins and dwellings can also vary simply by the options that are choosen, i.e. flooring type, number of windows, decks, porches, etc.
Cabins and Dwellings are available as shell kits, installed shells (Texas only) and turnkey (Texas only) buildings. Shell kits consist of the exterior material building and the Kanga cabin or dwelling will look complete from the exterior upon local install completion with only the pine tongue & groove ceiling cover, exposed studs and interior wall framing on the inside. Installed shells are essentially the shell kit installed by Kanga Room Systems in Texas. Turnkey buildings are move-in ready homes that are completely finished on the inside and out with electrical, plumbing, and fixtures. Please note that Kanga Rooms does not provide kitchen appliances.
All Turnkey Buildings Come with
- Pier & Beam Foundation
- Interior & Exterior Wall Framing per Plan
- Exterior Doors per Plan
- Steel Transom Window Frame with Single Pane Glass
- Windows are a la carte (except for triple windows where specified)
- Fiber Cement Lap Siding
- R-Panel 30 Year Galvalume Roof
- Pine T&G Ceiling Cover with R19 Insulation
- 30 or 40 gallon electric hot water heater
- Birch Plywood Wall Cover with R13 wall insulation
- Pre-finished or Painted
- Carbonized Bamboo Flooring
- Solid Core Interior Doors per Plan
- Kitchen: Cabinets with Maple Butcher Block Countertops, Outlets for Kitchen Appliances per Plan, Stainless Steel Sink and Faucet
- Bathroom: (Vanity, Faucet, Mirror, Bath Hardware, Toilet, Fiberglass Corner Shower or Tub/Shower Combo)
- Installation/Delivery within Kanga service area (state of Texas)
- Other delivery or service charges may apply outside of this area
Additional Install Options (Texas Only)
- Open Joint Siding
- 7' Side Deck
- 7' Side Porch Cover
- 7' Front Deck
- 44" Extended Overhand on Front Wall
- 10' Breezeway Deck and Cover to Connect Multiple Kangas
- Cedar Accent Siding
- Pine T&G wall cover
- Clear-coated, Whitewashed, or Painted
- R13 Floor Insulation
- R30 Ceiling Insulation
- Double Pane Glass for Transom Windows
- Other Hardwood Options
- Wall Unit with Heat & Cool
- Mini Split AC/Heating System
- Additional Electrical and Light Fixtures
- Walk-In Shower
- Glass Door for Shower or Tub Combo
- Electrical & Plumbing Hookups
Cabin and dwelling kits are available for DIY-ers in Texas and most other states (some limitations apply). Most of our kit customers have chosen to have local contractors assemble their Kanga homes.
All kits include pre-framed walls, panelized roof material (rafters, decking, galvalume metal roof cover, flashing, and insulation), our standard pine T&G ceiling cover, lap siding, house wrap, optional interior wall framing (for bathroom, bedroom, and closets), and windows and doors to your specs. Everything in the kit is pre-cut and panelized, except the siding, and ready for a speedy onsite install.
Due to the stick-built nature of our prefabbed product, all electrical wiring, plumbing, and painting must be completed onsite by you or your contractor. We are able to send the majority of the material for the buildings (i.e. skid/pier & beam foundation platform, decking, wall cover, flooring, light fixtures, bathroom vanities, HVAC wall unit, etc...), but it is usually more cost effective for you to buy those materials locally. Please note that we do not typically send foundation or deck material with the kits. That is definitely a number one item that is time & cost efficient for you to complete while your kit is being prepared for shipping.